Saturday, February 14, 2015

Week 3: Vikings and Cookies

Hello again,

I'm just gonna quit apologizing for constantly being too tired to finish my blogposts and post them; cause let's face it, I'm not going to get any better at that. The short summary to start off for all of you who are too tired/bored/late for something to read the whole blog: visits to Rapid City were made, more music events visited, bacon and cookies were eaten, Vikings was watched and snow was hated. Now for the in-depth tour: 


This Thursday we didn't really do much. We fed the horses in the morning and then loaded a bunch of steel onto a trailer to take to the recycling plant in Rapid City (well to be honest, I wasn't much help with loading the steel- I'm 1,62 m tall and have the upper body strength of a five year old- not a good combination if your goal is to lift 150 pounds of steel pipe onto a trailer. I was more of a mental help, you know *cough*). We got done with the steel at around noon, ate lunch at a Mexican restaurant. I don't know what it is with Mexican food, but I stuff myself by accident every time. Basically I didn't feel too good afterwards and was glad to sleep on the drive back home. We visited an antique store on our way home, I've never seen so much stuff in one room. It was very impressive, there wasn't a lot of stuff I'd personally want to buy, but it was fun to walk through. And that was the whole day (well we watered an fed all of the animals again and had dinner, but we do that every day, so I'm not going to mention it every time). 


Again, a very slow day. We didn't have too much to do so I caught up with my emails and such and at night we went to a Gymnastics meet for one of the girls and to Dairy Queen afterwards. I must say, I remembered DQ strictly as an ice cream place, but apparently they also have loads of other food. Who knew? (Probably everyone but me, but whatever). 


Off to Rapid City we go (again). This time it was due to the auditions the kids had for an All-State Band. We waited a few hours for all three of them to finish up and at around two pm we were starving. What do you do when you're starving? Visit IHOP of course. I must admit that this was my first ever visit to IHOP. I know, crazy right? But I'd just never gotten around to it when I lived in Michigan. Being there for the first time, the obvious choice of food would of course be pancakes, but it was the afternoon and I wanted something hearty. So I went for pasta. Weird I know, and I have to go there again for the pancakes, but when I'm really hungry, I just don't feel like breakfast, which is my least favorite meal of the day anyway. It had been cold and foggy all day, but the temperature continued to drop and the fog literally froze as soon as it hit the ground. I've never seen anything like it before I must say. It didn't look it but the roads were dangerous. On our way home we drove past about 10 accidents, it was crazy. The roads were so icy it took us three hours to get home, we went that slowly. It was seriously crazy. 


We got to sleep in!!! Whoohoo!! Well, we slept until 7:30 am. For us, that's sleeping in. I don't know what to think about that fact to be honest, but that's the way it is. I'm like an old lady, I get nervous when I'm not in bed by 7 pm because when you get up at six am every day, every hour of sleep counts. We had a wonderful breakfast of bacon and waffles (yum!). Feeding the horses was a blast, considering it was -18 degrees C and it felt like -30 and yes, there was snow on the ground. Yes, that sentence was meant as an ironic comment, I was freezing my butt off. Considering all that, we spent the day inside, had fajitas for dinner and went to bed as early as possible.
This is my bed by the way...interesting I know, but seeing as this week was quite uneventful I figured I might as well show you :)


The ground was still covered in snow on Monday, the cold prevailing as well. We did brave the weather in the morning to stack wood according to its size and usage, and seeing as the sun was shining it was actually quite fun. When we got inside we warmed up in the living room and the show Vikings was on. At first I was like "too gory" and didn't pay it too much attention, but after one episode you totally get into it and we were all hooked. Basically we watched all two seasons in one day (Season three is airing this February- ahh). It's seriously good, if you like historical dramas and good-looking guys in Viking clothes. I mean, yes, they're all covered in blood every five minutes because they have to pillage and plunder, but it's so awesome! And if that wasn't a pretty chill Monday already, we also ate some pretty awesome Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies (Yes, I got the recipe and yes, I will make it as soon as I get back home). 


It was another musical day for us this Tuesday. Both girls had a performance at a college with their high school band so we had to be done with all of our evening chores by three pm because we had an hour and a half drive to get there. So we didn't do anything except for chores that day and got to sit in on the concert at night. The snow had melted (yay) but it was still freezing cold. The wind seriously makes all the difference here, as soon as it picks up it feels like it's ten degrees colder. For dinner we had Subway, which was nice because they don't have meatball marinara sandwiches in Germany.


Wakey five am. Oh jolly good. It was a gorgeous day but freezing cold. Our host "mom" had a doctors appointment bright and early, hence the five am wake up call. We spent the morning at Starbucks which was very enjoyable. I had a Chai Tea Latte and a Caramel Macchiato (I think). I don't really remember what the coffee I had was called. I also wanted a bagel but they were out (pout here). Afterwards we went to the Stock Show at the Civic Center. It was basically a huge Exposition of all things western. From blinged-out cowgirl belts to cattle guards and twenty foot horse trailers, you could buy just about anything. They also had a lot of cattle and steers, they did bull competitions ( the top stud bull sold for something like 35,000$ or something) and this was also the place where the rodeos took place. We spent a few amicable hours there and then drove on home. It was a lot of fun to just walk around and look at all of the stuff there. Again it was freezing cold, but seeing as we were indoors for most of the day anyway it was ok. 

I do believe this marks the end of Week 3 ladies and gentlemen. Next week is going to be great. Prepare yourself mentally for rodeos and gorgeous sunrises (amongst other exciting things), so basically, I promise there will be more pictures in next weeks blogpost.

At this point I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who reads my blog. I don't know how many you are, but even if it's just a few people, thank you for taking the time out of your day to read what I wrote. 

See you soon, 



P.S. It has come to my attention (*cough* thanks mom), that I have been making some massive spelling mistakes and grammatical errors...I would like to formally apologize for this (it's all autocorrect's fault of course). I'll try to do better next time :)
Post a Comment